They may have many sweet old memory of enjoying this snack with their friends or family on the roadside of Kolkata. It’s very common scene in Kolkata’s college canteens that a group of friends chat for hours with only a cup of tea/coffee and a Kabiraji.
Chicken Kabiraji is another form of cutlets that is made of minced chicken mixed together with some spices and herbs. The dough is thinly spread out, dipped in egg and coated with breadcrumbs. Then it is fried with an abundance of eggs. To make an egg nest, a pinch of salt and an egg mixed with a teaspoon of water is dropped on top of the frying cutlet.
The word Kabiraji Cutlet has come from the Bengali pronunciation of a "Coverage or Cover with egg" Cutlet. Like other chop cutlets, this recipe too is the result of British influence on the Bengali cuisine.
Recipe Of Chicken Kabiraji Cutlet : For 5 Cutlets
Minced or Ground Chicken : 500 g
Onion : finely Chopped, one big
Green chilies : chopped, 1 tablespoon
Cilantro : chopped, 1 tablespoon
Garlic : minced, 1 tablespoon
Ginger : grated, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
Freshly ground black pepper : 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala : 1 teaspoon
Oil : for deep frying
Bread crumbs : 2 cups or as needed
Egg : 4
Cornflour : 2 teaspoon
Black pepper : 1/2 teaspoon
Water : 2 tablespoons
1. Take a mixing bowl, add minced chicken, finely chopped onion, ginger, garlic, green chillis, chopped cilantro, salt, black pepper and garam masala. Mix it well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for one hour.
2. Mix one more time using your hand and divide it into 5 to 6 equal portions. First make it a ball, then flatten the ball and give them cutlet shape. ( It will look like flat oval shape )
3, In a big bowl, beat the eggs with salt, pepper, cornflour and water.
4. Now dip each cutlet into the beaten egg and then coat with breadcrumbs.
5. Deep fry the cutlet one by one into hot oil until the both sides are golden brown.
6. For the egg nest, when the cutlet is still in the oil, keep the flame high and carefully sprinkle the remaining egg batter until it covers the whole surface of the oil. Fold or wrap the fried cutlets in the egg nest.
7. Remove it from hot oil and place it on a paper towel to drain excess oil. serve hot with some ketchup and a salad ( sliced cucumber and onion) .
*** you can follow this video to learn how to make the egg-cover. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoopLVgqrE4