Friday, August 12, 2016
A very thin line of difference exists among these variants and each one carries its own discernible features. Making stuffed Puri was not a cup of my tea, though I can comfortably make simple Puri. Recently I have mastered this skill too :-)
When north-Indian Naan or Kulcha didn’t become a status symbol in the Bengali wedding, this dish used to be served along with Pulao in most of the weddings. Generally, Radha Ballavis are not made at home and left to the professionals of the sweet shop or the Chef appointed to cook for a wedding. However, neither we can go to a sweet shop nor can attend a wedding in abroad, so only way to enjoy this tasty delicious item is making it at home.
Steps of making RadhaBallabhi
Recipe of Radhaballabhi, serves : 2
Maida / all purpose Flour : 2 cups
Ghee or white oil : 2 tablespoons
Salt : a pinch
Luke-warm water : for kneading
Urad dal : 1/2 cup, washed and soaked for overnight
Grated Ginger /Ginger paste : 1/2 tablespoon
Green chillies : 1
Hing ( asafoetida ) : a generous pinch
Bhaja Masala : 1 tablespoon ( Take one dry whole red chili , two teaspoons of whole cumin seeds, and a half teaspoon of whole coriander seeds in a small pan, dry roast them till aroma comes up.Turn off the gas. Let it cool down and then dry grind to a fine powder. )
Whole fennel seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Salt : to taste
Oil : for deep frying
1. In a wet mixer grinder add the urad dal, ginger, fennel seeds and green chili. Make a paste.
2. Heat one or two tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan. Add hing , then add the Urad dal paste to it. Add salt and keep stirring the paste and cook it until a thick dough is formed. Once done, add bhaja masala and allow it to cool. Stuffing is ready.
3. In a big bowl, take maida, salt, and oil and mix them well. Now gradually add water and knead it for at least 7 to 8 minutes and make it a dough. The dough should be soft enough but still firm. Once it is done, keep it covered with a damp kitchen towel.
4. Make some big lemon sized balls from the dough.
5. Flatten a ball into a disc of about 2 inches by using your palms.
6. Place one big teaspoon of stuffing in the center of the flatten dough, cover the stuffing by bringing all the sides of the disc together and make a ball again.
7. Slowly press down with the help of a rolling pin to roll out the ball and get a small circle like puris. Prepare all the puris in the same way.
8. Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Once the oil is hot, keep the flame on medium high, put the Radhaballabhi in the oil one at a time. Toss it carefully and fry it with the spatula, till it becomes golden on both the sides.
9. To puff it up, you should lightly press down the sides of the Radhaballavi with the spatula and always control the heat of the oil by increasing or decreasing the flame.
10. Remove the fried RadhaBallabhi with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel to drain the excess oil. Serve hot with Dum aloo / Aloor dom or Cholar dal.
Thursday, August 4, 2016
Summer is the perfect time for me to experiment new food in the kitchen. Since I don’t need to prepare my son in the morning for school, there is no hurry to have dinner early and go to bed. There is no fixed routine in our day to day life during this couple of months. On top of that, I spend more quality time with my son, even though he gets bored sometimes without his school friends. But the good times don’t last forever. Only ten more days and it’s coming to an end. Hope will be able to post my recipes regularly even after the school restarts.
Today I’ve got a really fun and simple recipe to share with you. It’s called Edible Cookie Cups , a kid-friendly recipe which is the perfect one to make together with your kids during the summer vacation. These little edible cups are made with cookie dough. They are not only very cute looking but totally irresistible.
Though initially, I thought it must be a very complex process to make these cups, but later it turned out to be much easier. Only things you need are the cookie dough and a muffin tin. These cookie cups are perfect for snack or dessert during the evening after work hours. You can customize them to your personal tastes and fill with the different variety of toppings. If you want to be creative with the filling too, you can serve yogurt, fruit, ice cream or chocolate with it. So far in this hot summer season, it has been a really nice treat to enjoy and I am sure you will also like it.
Recipe of Cookie Cups or bowls ( for about 12 to 15 cups )
All purpose flour : 1 and 1/2 cups
Salt : a pinch
Baking soda : 1/2 teaspoon
Unsalted Butter : 1 stick
Sugar : 1/2 cup
Eggs : 1
Pure Vanilla Extract : 1 tablespoon
Eggs : 1
Pure Vanilla Extract : 1 tablespoon
1. Take a bowl and add flour, salt and baking soda to it. Whisk it together and set it aside.
2. Now take sugar and butter in another bowl, beat it using the hand mixer or electric mixture until light and fluffy. Add egg, and beat it. Add vanilla extract and mix it until well combined.
3. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until the mixture forms a smooth dough. Divide the dough into two parts. Wrap each part in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for overnight or at least 3 to 4 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F ( 170 C ). Turn over the muffin tin, and grease it thoroughly.
5. Roll out dough on the generously-floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut 4 1/2 inch circles from the rolled dough.
7. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until cookies are firm and golden brown. Once it is done. Take it out of the oven and cool it on the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully remove cups from pan and cool completely. Clean the pan and spray again and repeat with remaining dough.
8. Fill cookie cups as desired.
For Cheesecake Filling and Topping
Cream Cheese ( at room temperature ) : 12 oz
Powdered sugar : 1 and 1/2 cups
Vanilla : 1 teaspoon
Assorted Chopped Fresh Fruit :
1. Blend the cream cheese, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar together until smooth.
2. Pipe or scoop cream cheese filling into cookie cups.
3. Top with fresh fruit.
you can also serve yogurt and fruit mixture, ice cream or hot chocolate into it.