I was not sure if I would post this recipe on my blog! Originally the purpose was to celebrate father’s day last weekend with a home-made ice-cream cake to pleasantly surprise my husband. Generally it is hard to take food photos if I cook over the weekend. Because I feel bad when I ask somebody to wait and stop from eating before I take a good snap! The same happened on Father’s day. I had to cut and serve it to two boys, even before the cake firmed up properly. The entire cake got gobbled up in few minutes except few small pieces. So I planned to make another one in couple of days for my blog. Since the pieces were in freeze, I wondered why don’t I take some pictures of them and share it in the Facebook page. This pushed me to write up the recipe because my friends were excited after seeing the snaps and requested for the recipe.
Ice-cream Cake is a cake, combined with ice cream and generally comes with two or three layers of cake, with a single layer of ice cream. Sometimes the ice cream itself presented in the form of a cake or a combination of ice cream and cookie. I had never made an ice cream before and had a wish to experiment with it. I had this in my mind for the last one year but sometimes it takes time to execute. Recently I came across a nice recipe of Ice cream cake and felt it is not that difficult what I thought. Only thing you need a major test of self-restraint, not finishing the cake before setting it firmly J
Instead of a traditional cake layer, I made a chocolate chip cookie base that made the cake more appealing. On the other way it would taste the same like the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
Basically I baked a giant, cake sized cookie. While the cookie cooling down, let your favorite brand and flavor of ice cream sit out at room temperature. Once cookie has cooled down, evenly spread the ice cream. Cover the whole pan with foil or plastic wrap, and then freeze for at least 1-2 hours to allow the ice cream to firm up! Your Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice-cream cake is ready, give a chocolate drizzle and enjoy! Is not your mouth watering by reading this description! So go for it as it’s not as difficult as rocket science. Thanks to Mangoes and palm tree for this wonderful recipe idea!
Recipe of Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice-Cream Cake : for 8 inch Springform pan :
For Cookie Layer :
Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup at room temperature
Dark Brown Sugar - 1 cup
Egg - 1 large
Pure Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/8 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Semi-sweet Mini Chocolate Chips
For Ice-cream Topping :
Ice cream (softened ) - 1 pint (around 500 g) ( as per your choice, recommended any caramel or chocolate or coffee flavor )
For Decoration : Chocolate Ganache or Chocolate Sauce and chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 177 degrees C and grease an 8 inch round springform pan.
2. In a bowl, add the butter and brown sugar and whisk together. Add the egg, beat until it becomes fluffy, add the vanilla extract and mix it well.
3. In a separate bowl, take the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix them well. Fold the dry ingredients mixture into the wet ingredients, until everything is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Spread the dough into an even layer in the greased pan. Bake the cookie at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cookie comes out clean.
5. Once the cookie is done, allow it to cool down completely.
6. Finally, spread the pint of ice cream into an even layer on the top of the cooled cookie. Cover the pan with foil or plastic wrap, and freeze until the ice cream is firm. ( it would take at least 2 hrs )
7. Run a knife around the edges of the cake to take it out from the pan, then unlatch the springform pan.
8. Drizzle Chocolate Ganache or Chocolate sauce on the top and sprinkle some chocolate chips and serve. Enjoy!!