Recipe of Mutton Rogan Josh : A Special Type of Goat Curry : Yield 4 servings
Goat meat ( preferably shoulder part ) : cut into medium sized pieces - 2 lb
Black Cardamom - 5
Cinnamon sticks - 1 inch
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Ghee ( clarified butter ) - 4 tbsp or ( you can use white oil too )
Ginger paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
Green Cardamom - 5
Hing ( asafoetida ) - pinch
Kashmir Red Chilly Powder - 2 tbsp or as per tolerance
Mace - 3-4
Saffron - pinch
yogurt - 1/2 cup
All purpose flour - pinch
1. Wash the mutton pieces and pat dry.
2. Take a bowl, add hing, Kashmir red chilly powder, ginger paste, add saffron and water. Mix it well and make a paste.
3. In a blender, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, green cardamom, cinnamon stick and mace. Grind it to a coarse powder.
4. Take a pan, add ghee to it and heat it up. Add black cardamom and goat piece to it. Cook it in a slow flame till meat pieces turn to brown in color.
5. Add spice mixture paste to the pan, add salt and mix it well.
6. Take a bowl, add the yogurt and add a pinch of flour to it. Mix it well and set it aside.
7. Once spices are well cooked, add the beaten yogurt and the spice powder.Give some stirs and mix well together.
8. Add enough warm water and add salt. Put the lid on and cook it over low flame. Stir occasionally to prevent burning at bottom.
9. Once goat pieces are well cooked, and oil comes up from the sides of pan, check seasoning, check the consistency and turn off the gas. Mutton Rogan Josh is ready! Serve hot with Indian flat bread like Naan / Parantha or steamed rice.