If you are looking for a cheesecake that is bit different from the rest, then here it is. Rocky Road Cheesecake is a chocolate cheesecake with an Oreo crust, topped with marshmallows, nuts and milk chocolate. Rocky Road is a type of dessert, usually served in individual portions as a cupcake / cake or with an ice cream flavor. It is made up of milk chocolate, marshmallow and nuts like almonds or walnuts. This is my second cheesecake. Was it worth the time and effort? Certainly! It’s not only gorgeous in look; Rocky Road Cheesecake is so creamy and rich that you would love each and every bite! This is one of the best cakes I've ever made. So if you want to impress your someone, go for it.
This year we couldn't celebrate my son’s birthday at home because we were out to visit Yellowstone. He had a great time there, though didn't get a chance to cut his birthday cake. After returning back, I was looking for a Chocolate cake recipe that I can try to celebrate my little one's belated birthday. When I found a Rocky Road Cheesecake picture on foodgawker, I couldn't resist myself from trying this cake. But alas! There was no recipe with that picture. But I could find it from Food Network and Bakersroyale. Thanks to these sites. The recipe is very simple and easy. Let’s not waste time to write more and come to the recipe:
Recipe of Rocky Road Cheese Cake : for a 7 inch Springform pan
For Crust :
Oreo Cookies : 16
Butter ( melted ) : 3 tbsp
For Cheesecake :
Cream cheese (softened ) : 16 oz.
Sugar : 1 cup ( or little more )
Eggs : 3
Dark chocolate : 10 oz.
Semi-sweet chocolate : 4 oz.
Sour cream : 3/4 cup
Chocolate (melted) : 4 oz.
Mini Marshmallow : 3/4 cup
Salted and Roasted Almonds ( coarsely chopped ) : 1/2 cup
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 177 degrees C and grease the pan.
2. Put the Oreo cookies in a food processor, and crush it to a fine powder. Add butter to it and mix nicely.
3. Press the Oreo mixture into the bottom of the pan. Put the pan in the oven and bake it at 350 degrees F for 8 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and let it cool down. Turn down oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
5. Place both the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over simmering water. Stir continuously until chocolate is melted and set it aside.
6. In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and sugar on medium speed.( you can use hand mixture too ) Add sour cream and beat to combine.
7. Add eggs, one at a time and mix it. Pour in melted chocolate and mix it for another 2 to 3 minutes until well combined.
8. Pour the cheesecake mixture over Oreo crust and bake for 45 minutes, or until the edge of the cheesecake is puffed and center is still wet-looking or wobbly.
9. Turn off the oven with the door slightly opened. Let the cheesecake sit in the oven for 1 hr to cool down completely. Then put it into the refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours.
10. For Topping : Pour melted chocolate on top, then sprinkle salted and roasted chopped almonds and marshmallows on the top of the chocolate. Then drizzle over some extra chocolate.