Good morning, hope everybody is doing well. Wow ! what a week it was. Though I am a home-maker and don’t have hectic work schedule, I do volunteer work for my kid's elementary school. Last week they had couple of events like celebrating one hundred days of school and valentines day. So I didn't get a plenty of time to spend at my kitchen. Meanwhile I was searching some easy yet new recipes of chicken to try out. In last December we came back from a vacation in India. Like every time, I got some recipe books this time too from my dad. The book is written by legendary Supriya Devi, named 'Benudir Rannabanna’. She doesn’t need any introduction for my Bengali friends. For others, She is a celebrity in Bengali Film Industry and on the other hand, wife of a great Bengali actor Uttam Kumar. At the same time She is a great cook too. We used to see her crockery shows or recipes in TV channels and in magazines.
This is basically a simple chicken curry, made with some whole ingredients. It is not only a very simple recipe but straight forward and quick to make. Chicken along with the whole 'masala' will be cooked in a slow-cooking process. There is no so-many steps like add onion first, then ginger, then garlic, just marinate the chicken with all for some times, then let them cook by t hemselves. When you are lazy, but want to tickle your taste buds try this mild spicy chicken. Please note that there is no special spice or magic in it, all the ingredients are very common ones those you will find in almost every Indian kitchen. It looks like an authentic Bengali recipe and so I used mustard oil but you can use the white refined oil too. Since in my refrigerator I had some pearl onions and cherry tomatoes, I used them too.
Gota Masla Diye Murgi r Jhol : Rustic Chicken Curry (with some whole spices)
1. Chicken - 2 lb
2. Tomatoes - 2 big cut into 8 pieces.
3. Onion - 2 big cut into 8 pieces.
4. Ginger - 2 inches (grated)
5. Garlic - 4 cloves
6. Oil - 6 tbsp
8. Sugar - half a tsp
9. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
10. Whole dry Kashmiri Red Chili or Red chili powder - as per tolerance
11. Cilantro -
1. Cut the Chicken into medium pieces, wash them nicely.
2. Add onion, ginger, garlic, tomato, salt, turmeric powder, whole dry kashmiri red chilies with the chicken pieces.
3. Toss it well and rest them for half an hour to one hour for marination.
4. Take a heavy-bottomed pan, put the oil, once the oil hits up, pour the marinated chicken.
5. Lower the flame and cover it. Chicken will release some water and it will be cooked by that.
6. When water dries up, give some stirs, and when oil separates and starts to leave from the side of pan, put a cup of water.
7. Add salt, cover it and let it boil for some times at medium heat. Once chicken is tender and soft, add sugar and check seasoning. Let it cook another 2 to 3 minutes over medium to high flame.