You might have bought this one many times from Vons, Costco or other grocery stores. After today, you won’t do that; rather you will prepare your own Red Velvet Cake. This particular cake is famous for its bright red colored gorgeous look and its creamy white frosting. People in USA and Canada love this cake from the decades for any celebrations or V-day. Not only the looks, it’s just yummy in every bite. It has a mild chocolate flavor with a moist and tender crumb. The chocolate flavor comes from adding cocoa powder to the batter and buttermilk makes it moist. Butter milk always makes any baked goods very tender. If you don't want to buy buttermilk from store, you can easily make it at home. Take a cup of milk, add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to it and let this mixture rest for 5 to 10 minutes before using it.
This beautiful cake generally comes with amazing cream cheese topping; I too used the same for frosting. Cream Cheese is perfect for any cake and very easy to use too. Some people like me love having cream cheese alone and kind of addicted to it. If you have any leftover, mix it with some fresh fruits and then have it, it’s super yummy!
Whenever it comes to any recipe related to baking, I am never tired of trying it out several times. I did Red Velvet Cupcakes couple of times at my kitchen and this time it was for some of my close friends. Though my family generally avoids any artificially colored food, this cake is an exception. This has been favorite to both the boys at home. If you want to avoid red food color, can try it with beetroot juice. The version that I would share here today, is inspired by two famous sites - food network and joy of baking. I tried to give it a new look by making this in a jar, something different from the traditional cupcakes look.
Let's come to the recipe:
for Cakes :
All-purpose flour - 1 1/4 cups
Baking powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Regular or Dutch processed cocoa powder - 1tbsp
Butter ( unsalted ) 1/4 cup at room temperature
Granulated White Sugar - 3/4 cup
Large Egg - 1
Pure Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
Liquid Red Food Coloring - 1 tbsp
Buttermilk - 1/2 cup
White Vinegar - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
For Cream Cheese Frosting :
Cream Cheese - 1 lb ( around 500 g ) softened
Butter ( softened ) - 1 sticks
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Sugar - around 2 cups or as per the taste.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C. Line 12 cups muffin tin with cupcake papers.
2. In a large bowl, take the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder and mix it well.
3. In a large bowl, (or you can use electric mixer) beat the butter with a hand mixer until it gets soft. Add sugar to it and again beat the mixture until it becomes light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat it until incorporated.
4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add vanilla extract and mix it well.
5. In a cup take the buttermilk and red food coloring and whisk it
6. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to the butter mixture and beat the mixture with hand mixer on low speed.
7. In a cup, take vinegar and baking soda. Let it rest until it becomes foamy and then fold into the batter.
8. Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups. Take a offset spatula, and smooth the tops.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
10. Let the cakes cool down for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely before frosting.
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract, until the mixture becomes smooth.
2. Gradually add the sugar, beat on low speed, until incorporated. Increased the speed to high and mix it until it is light and fluffy.
3. Check, if sugar is needed, check the consistency. Frost the cupcakes with butter Knife or pipe the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
Assemble in Jars :
Slice the cupcakes horizontally to get layers.
Place a layer into the bottom of the jar, pipe a layer of cream cheese frosting on the cake layer. Repeat the process, until you reach the top of the jar.
Red Velvet Cupcakes are ready!