Recipe of Macher Muro Die Bhaja Muger Daal ( Dry Roasted Yellow Lentil With Fish Head):
Mung Daal or yellow lentil: 1 cup
Fish Head: 1 of a medium sized fish
Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon
Oil: 4 tablespoons
Whole Red Chili: 1
Bay leaf: 1
Whole Cumin seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
Onion: a small, finely chopped
Ginger paste: 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste: 1 tablespoon
Tomato: a small, chopped
Cumin powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Chili powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Gram masala: 1/2 teaspoon
1. Smear salt and turmeric to the cleaned and halved fish heads. Set it aside.
2. Dry roast the mung dal on low flame. Don't make it brown. Once the dal starts to change the color and aroma comes up turn off the gas and wash the dal thoroughly. Now take a pan or a pressure cooker, add the washed dal and 3 cups of water. Add salt and turmeric to it. Cover the lid. Let it cook until Dal is cooked. Make sure the Dal is not over cooked. It should be soft but not mushy. What I do, cover the pressure cooker and cook it on high flame for one whistle. Immediately remove it from the heat and let the steam release on its own. It comes out perfect.
3. Heat oil in a big pan. Fry the fish head till it is golden brown. Take it out from the pan and set it aside.
4. Add bay leaf, whole red chili, cumin seeds to the remaining oil. Once cumin starts to splutter add the chopped onions. Fry it until it is soft and golden brown. Add ginger and garlic paste. Stir it and let it cook until raw smell goes off. Add tomato and salt. Stir it well.
5. Once tomato becomes soft and mushy add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Cook it until oil comes out from the sides of the pan.
6. Add the fried fish head cook it with the masala for a couple of minutes. Break the fish head into big chunks. Now add the cooked dal. Mix it well. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Check the seasoning. Adjust the consistency. It should not be too thick or too runny.