As I mentioned in my last post we were planning for a India trip during Christmas vacation. Unfortunately our plan didn’t work for some reasons. I was so upset and sad for the same, but for me this year Santa came early to make me happy. Last few days I was searching for deals on camera and lenses. Santa came to know about that and ordered a new camera and lens for me. Couple of days back I received them and got so excited to have a Nikon D610 and 24-70mm lens in hand. So from now onwards you can hope to see more posts from me.
Today I will share the recipe of a truffle that is very popular especially during the holiday season. You can call it a candy or no-bake cookies The name of this Christmas treat is Rum Balls. It’s the perfect adult indulgence during this festive time. Rum balls are sweet and chewy, a mixture of finely chopped nuts, crushed cookie crumbs, cocoa, powdered sugar and obviously rum as the name suggests. They are roughly the size of a golf ball.
Rum balls are not so difficult to make. To start with, add the ingredients as I mentioned above and stir to mix well. When the mixture holds together firmly it is rolled into balls. Then they are coated in powdered sugar or cocoa or melted chocolate whatever your heart wishes. My favorite is the chocolate coating one. This Rum Ball recipe is adapted from #joyofbaking .
Recipe of Rum Balls : makes 20 pieces ( little bigger size balls )
Toasted walnuts, chopped ( pecans, hazelnuts, almonds can be used ) : 1 and 1/2 cups
Vanilla wafer cookies, finely crushed : 1 and 1/4 cups ( shortbread cookies or digestive biscuit can be used )
Unsweetened Cocoa powder : 2 tablespoons
Powdered sugar ( confectioners sugar ) : 1/2 cup
Honey : 2 tablespoons
Rum : 1/4 cup
Powdered sugar :
Unsweetened Cocoa powder :
Finely chopped Pistachios ( other nuts can be used )
Melted Semi sweet chocolate : 120g
Melted white chocolate: 30g
1. Toast the nuts until lightly browned and fragrant comes up. Let it cool completely and then chop them. Place the nuts in a food processor or grinder and pulse until finely chopped. Once done, set is aside.
2. Now put the vanilla wafer cookies in the food processor and process it until finely ground.
3. Add the ground cookies to the finely chopped walnuts. Now add powdered sugar and cocoa powder to it and mix it until well combined.
4. Add honey and rum to the mixture and mix it again. You can add little more rum, if necessary.
5. Now refrigerate the mixture for half an hour. Then give them shape into 1 and 1/2 inches balls.
6. Then roll the rum balls in confectioner sugar, cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts.
7. To dip into chocolate, put chopped semisweet chocolate ( around 120g ) and one tablespoon of butter in a heatproof bowl. Now place the bowl over a sauce pan of simmering water. Stir it, once it is melted remove it from the heat. Dip the rum balls one at a time in the melted chocolate until it is coated with chocolate. Use two spoons or a fork and remove it from the bowl of melted chocolate.
8. Again put the chocolate covered balls into the refrigerator for around 10 minutes or until chocolate has set. Once the chocolate has hardened melt some white chocolate and drizzle the rum balls.
- Rum Balls can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for couple of weeks
- If you do not want to add alcohol, use orange or apple juice in the pace of rum.
- Store rum balls for at least a few days before serving, so their flavors have time to mingle.