The main ingredient of this preparation is aromatic rice that is called 'Gobindobog chal', also known as Jeera rice. The dish is very easy to make and takes less time to prepare. For this recipe, I followed my mom which is one of her signature dishes. As a kid I didn't need any side dish with this pulao.
Recipe of Holud Mishti Pulao
1. Flavored Rice ( preferably Gobindobhog) - 2 cups
2. Ghee ( clarified butter) - 2-3 tbsp
3. Bay leaves - 2
4. Cardamom - 3
5. Clove - 3
6. Cinnamon stick - 1/2 inch
7. Cashew - 1 handful
8. Raisins - (golden color)1 handful
9. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
10. Salt -
11. Sugar - 3 tbsp or as per taste
1. Wash the rice nicely and soak it for 15 to 20 minutes. In a big pan, put the ghee/clarified butter.
2. Once it heats up add the bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon and clove. Once they get aromatic, add the cashew and fry them till it changes the color to light brown.
3. Then add the raisins. In few seconds, add the turmeric powder and then add the rice.
4. Stir it and mix the rice with the other ingredients. Add salt, sugar and water. It is approximately three and half cups. Let it boil.
5. Lower the flame and cover it. Cook till the rice is done.
6. Check the taste. Add more salt or sugar if needed. Serve hot with spicy Chicken or Mutton Curry.