Today I am going to share a special chicken preparation called Dum Ka Murgh. This one is originated from Hyderabad and highly influenced by Mughals. There is slight difference between Hyderabad cuisine from rest of the India’s Mughal influenced styles. It seems the Nizams of Hyderabad preferred their food to be more spicy and it resulted in a distinct Hyderabadi Mughal cuisine.
This particular dish is also called Lagan ka Murgh. “Lagan” means the wide and heavy-bottomed Indian utensil. Traditionally this recipe is cooked and served with this kind of pot. This dish is prepared by the technique of “Dum”. In this process, the dish is sealed with dough and gently simmering over a very low flame. It helps to increase the absorption of aromatic spices.
It is a very rich, aromatic and flavorful dish; chicken first marinated with lot of spices, yogurt and almonds / cashew paste then slow cooked in slow cooking method. There is a saying in Hyderabad cooking patiently is the key, slow cooking is the hallmark of hyderabadi cuisine.
Since I am not very familiar with this kind of cuisine, I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this recipe. But I can assure you that this delectable and flavorful chicken dish will compel you to lick the plate till it becomes clean. You can serve Dum Ka Murgh dish with Naans, Plain rice or Parathas.
Recipe of Dum Ka Murgh / Lagan Ka Murgh / Chicken slow-cooked in Hyderabadi Style : Serves 6 people
Chicken : 2 lbs (around 1 kg) , cut into medium sized pieces
Onion : 2 medium sized, chopped and fried
Ginger paste : 1 tablespoon
Garlic paste : 2 tablespoon
Green Chili paste : 1 teaspoon
Yogurt : 1 cup
Turmeric powder : 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder : 1 tablespoon
Kashmiri Red Chili powder : 1 tablespoon
Red Chili powder : 1 teaspoon
Cashew nuts : 1 tablespoon
Poppy seeds : 1 tablespoon
Chopped cilantro : 1 cup
Chopped mint : 1/2 cup
Lime juice : 1 tablespoon
Oil : 2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons
Cardamoms : 4
Cinnamon stick : 1 inch stick
Cloves : 4
( Dough : to seal the lid of cooking pan )
Crisp deep fried onion / Birista : for garnishing
Boiled Egg ( optional ) : for garnishing
1. Take poppy seeds and cashew nuts and put it into the blender. Add water and make a paste.
2. Wash and pat dry chicken pieces with paper towel. Take a big mixing bowl, add chicken, cashew and poppy seeds paste, ginger - garlic paste, green chili paste, fried onions, yogurt, red chili powder, kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, chopped cilantro, chopped mint, lime juice and oil. Mix it well and let it rest for 2 to 3 hours.
3. Take a big pan and heat it up. Add the remaining oil add cardamoms, cinnamon, and cloves. Once smell comes up, lower the flame and add the marinated chicken. Add half cup of water, ( optional if required as gravy ).
4. Cover it with lid and seal the lid with dough. Cook it over a medium flame for about 10 minutes, then reduce the flame and let it cook in a slow flame for about 30 minutes.
5. Switch off and leave it for another 10 minutes. Open the lid and serve hot with steamed rice or Indian flat bread.