After experimenting for couple of years, I gathered some simple tips to make my fried rice perfect. Let me share these tips before starting the actual recipe:
1. Use long grain rice because short grain rice can stick together.
2. Cook the rice and then refrigerate it for couple of hours. This will not make actual fried rice mushy.
3. Use a big pan or wok and cook fried rice over high flame; this will help to get the burnt flavor.
Recipe of Chinese Fried Rice : Serves : 3 to 4
Prep time : 20 minutes, Cook time : 10 minutes, Total time : 30 minutes
Rice : cooked, 3 cups ( long grain rice )
Vegetables : 1 cup as per your choice ( carrot / green bell pepper / cabbage ( shredded or finely chopped ) or peas / fresh bean sprout whatever you like )
Garlic : 4 cloves, minced
Eggs : 2
Chicken : 1 cup boneless and skinless, cut in long-thin strip or use leftover cooked chicken
Cornflour : 1 tablespoon
White vinegar : 1 teaspoon
Shrimp : 3/4 cup peeled and deveined without tail
Green onions / Scallions : 2 ( the white part and the green part separately finely chopped )
Oil : 5 tablespoon
Salt : to taste
Ground Black pepper : to taste
Soy sauce : 4 tablespoon
Sesame oil : few drops
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with vinegar, soy sauce, black pepper and a pinch of salt for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Take a large skillet or wok, heat it up and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle cornflour to the marinated chicken pieces, mix well until they get a nice coat. Add the chicken pieces to the wok. Stir it until they are cooked. Once done set it aside.
If you use cooked chicken skip the above steps.
3. Add oil to the same wok, add the shrimp and sprinkle salt and pepper. Saute it until they are pink. Once shrimps are cooked, keep it aside.
4. Clean the wok by scraping it off and add oil. Once oil is hot, add the garlic. Once garlic is lightly brown, add the white / onion part of scallions. Stir it for couple of minutes until fragrant. Add the vegetable and keep stirring for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.
5. Add the beaten egg and stir to scramble. Add the chicken and shrimp and mix it well. Stir and toss between each addition.
6. Break up the large clumps of rice and separate the grains and add it to the wok. Give some stirs.
7. Add the sauce and ground black pepper. Taste and check seasoning, add salt if required. Stir everything until the rice is well-coated and gets a light brown color. Sprinkle the green part of chopped scallions and the sesame oil. Switch off the gas and serve immediately.
Related recipes, you may like :