As you might have already guessed from my picture earlier, I'm going to share a pasta dish today. Off late, this has become regular dinner or lunch dish on working days, especially for me and my son. Because it is fast and at the same time, fresh and fabulous. It takes only 10 minutes from chopping board to plate. When you are in busy schedule or too tired but still love to have fresh and home-cooked food, this is the dish for you.
This Angel hair Pasta with garlic and prawns is my personal favorite, as I like prawns and garlic both and pasta is anytime hit in my family. I used angel hair pasta to this recipe, but you can use any kind of pasta or spaghetti as per your choice. This particular recipe is adopted from Donna Hay's Garlic Prawn Pasta. The use of fried egg on the top of the pasta is completely optional. I liked to serve the dish this way and I feel it makes this dish more delicious.
Though original recipe uses fresh prawns, I did with some raw frozen prawns because I wanted to make this real fast. Thaw the frozen prawns. Add your favorite pasta when salted water is boiling and let it cook. In between finely chop or slice some garlic pods and make some peeled lemon zests ready. Cook - stir and mix it up together. A cozy meal is ready to serve.
Angel hair pasta / Thin Spaghetti : 8 oz / 200 g
Butter : 3 tablespoon
Olive oil - 1 tablespoon or as per needed
Garlic : 5-6 cloves, finely chopped or sliced
Chili flakes : 1 teaspoon or as per your tolerance
Lemon zest : ( shredded ) 1 tablespoon
Prawns ( raw ) frozen or fresh, cleaned and peeled : 12 or 1 cup
Lemon juice : 1 tablespoon
Pepper : if needed
Parsley leaves : roughly torn, 1/4 cup
Eggs : 2
1. Take a large sauce pan, add water and let it boil. Add salt, add pasta and cook the pasta as per package instruction. To avoid sticky pasta add few drops of oil, when it starts boiling.
2. Clean and peel the prawns. Sprinkle salt on them, coat it well and set it aside.
3. Once pasta is well cooked, drain it and save some of the liquid and set aside.
4. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter and oil to the pan. Once butter or oil is ready, add the garlic, chili flakes and the lemon zest and cook about 2 minutes.
5. Add the prawns and keep stirring. Cook until the prawns are tender and cooked.
6. Reduce the heat, add the pasta, lemon juice, salt and pepper and torn fresh parsley to the pan. Toss to combine, if the pasta is too dry add some of the saved liquid.
7. Adjust salt and pepper and serve warm with more fresh parsley, chili flakes and olive oil ( if you wish )
To cook the eggs :
Heat butter or oil in a frying pan. Break the egg carefully in to the pan, the yolk should not break. Cook at medium heat until the white is set but yolk is still soft or runny. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the egg. Remove from heat and top pasta with eggs and serve.
Note : The amount of the ingredients are adjustable. Since it is fast and simple, there is hardly need to measure anything.